Church of San Juan Bautista and former hospital of San Juan de Dios

La Calzada, 1 14900 Lucena (Córdoba)
In 1565, the Hospital Order came to Lucena to found a convent-hospital but in the first half of the 18th century the deterioration and ruin of the group was remarkable. Thus, in 1747, a new hospital and church was planned, when the General of the Order, Fray Alonso de Jesús Ortega, of Lucena, asked for the execution of the artists who had built the basilica and the hospital of San Juan de Dios in Granada. The traces of the hospital and the church were made by José de Bada y Navajas, a native of Lucena, and the works were directed by Fray Francisco Álvarez. The access is framed by a superb cover of polychrome marbles of the region, elaborated by the brothers Pino Ascanio, prestigious local stonemasons of the middle of the XVIII century. The church has a single nave with a half-barrel vault with lunettes, which culminates with a dome decorated with plasterwork. The altarpiece presides over a beautiful altarpiece made by Francisco José Guerrero, author of five other minor altarpieces. The hospital, currently elderly persons’ home, is articulated around a large central courtyard, whose low cloister, with arches on pillars, is beautifully decorated with contemporary Manises tiles of the work, which was inaugurated in 1754.

Ver Detalles

Localización
GPS: 37.40554876448954 | -4.486873152782209


In 1565, the Hospital Order came to Lucena to found a convent-hospital but in the first half of the 18th century the deterioration and ruin of the group was remarkable. Thus, in 1747, a new hospital and church was planned, when the General of the Order, Fray Alonso de Jesús Ortega, of Lucena, asked for the execution of the artists who had built the basilica and the hospital of San Juan de Dios in Granada. The traces of the hospital and the church were made by José de Bada y Navajas, a native of Lucena, and the works were directed by Fray Francisco Álvarez. The access is framed by a superb cover of polychrome marbles of the region, elaborated by the brothers Pino Ascanio, prestigious local stonemasons of the middle of the XVIII century. The church has a single nave with a half-barrel vault with lunettes, which culminates with a dome decorated with plasterwork. The altarpiece presides over a beautiful altarpiece made by Francisco José Guerrero, author of five other minor altarpieces. The hospital, currently elderly persons’ home, is articulated around a large central courtyard, whose low cloister, with arches on pillars, is beautifully decorated with contemporary Manises tiles of the work, which was inaugurated in 1754.

Download PDF
Address:

La Calzada, 1
14900 Lucena (Córdoba)

Download PDF