Parish of San Francisco de Asís
GPS: 37.326963 | -4.365609
The temple originated as the Hermitage of Nuestra señora de la Cabeza, which we know already existed in 1584, although the current shape of it corresponds to the extension started in 1731. In 1736 it became a Franciscan convent with the transfer of a community from the nearby Paraje de la Hoz, and later becoming a parish in 1889.
It has three naves separated by barrel arches on Tuscan columns, the central one of greater height is covered with a vaultand the lateral ones with crowned cupolas that start off corbels.
The main altarpiece was done in 1725 by the Antequera master Antonio de Rivera, with a central span that communicates with the niche of Ntra. Sra. De la Cabeza, on the sides, separated by stipes, interesting sculptures of St. Dominic and St. Francis of Assisi , from the late 16th century.
The most outstanding space of the temple is the niche of Ntra Sra. De la Cabeza, richly decorated with Rococo-style plasterwork by the sculptor Cecilio Antonio Franco Roldán who finished it in 1763, who also made the decoration of the dome and pendentives of the presbytery.
Throughout the temple there are numerous altars, all of them in Rococo style from the second half of the 18th century, altar-niche in the nave of the Gospel, among which St. Anthony and the Virgen del Pópulo stand out; while in the nave of the Epistle we find the niche of Nuestro Padre Jesús de la Rosa and Nuestra Señora del Mayor Dolor, work similar to those of the sculptor Ruiz del Peral, and the chapels the baptism and the tabernacle.