Parish of Santa Catalina Mártir
GPS: 37.3250476 | -4.3707486
It originated after the transfer of the town to its current location in 1435. It was erected by bull of Alexander VI and was founded as Abbey of the Fernández de Córdoba family in 1497. The primitive construction, affected by the earthquake of 1761 and subsequently reformed, was replaced by the current temple erected in 1784.
It is a temple with a sober façade. Inside, it is divided into three naves separated by octagonal brick pillars that hold barrel arches and with an arched vault as the only roofing used, except for the dome of the presbytery.
The main altarpiece, of great simplicity and in neoclassical style, was completed in 1790, belonging to the art of Alonso Gómez de Sandoval from Cordoba. It consists of three sections, housing the central images of Santa Catalina Mártir and San Pedro. On both sides, at the head of the aisles we find the chapels of the Inmaculada Concepción and Nuestra Señora de los Dolores; while the chapels of the tabernacle and Jesús Nazareno conform the line of the cruise.
It has an important sculptural heritage, worthy mentioning the images of the Cristo Moreno of the mid-16th century; Virgen del Rosario of the circle of Pablo de Rojas; Cristo Yacente and San Bartolomé attributed both to the workshop of Alonso de Mena; as well as a valuable image of San José from the late 18th century.
It also holds important pieces of silverware such as a monstrance, work from Madrid in Rococo style given by the Abbot at the end of the 18th century.