In 2006, the construction of the ring road in the southern area of Lucena uncovered a cemetery from the Andalusian era. Some 346 tombs appeared that were adapted to the topography of the land in which the burial ritual used was inhumation, in a simple or double pit, sometimes with a niche or a lateral coffer covered with slabs or Roman tegulas (roof tiles). The skeletal remains that determined an early medieval period between the years 1000 and 1050 coincided with the dates of greatest splendour of the Jewish Lucena and allowed to extract relevant data about the way of life and funerary ritual of the Jewish community at this time. During these works also took place the appearance of the only Jewish gravestone appeared in a funerary structure in Andalusia and the second one found in Lucena. The gravestone contained Hebrew characters, and its chronology could be dated between the eighth and ninth centuries by the typeface, analysed by the doctor in Semitic Philology Jordi Casonotas. The enhancement of the Jewish Necropolis has meant the perimeter fencing of the site, as well as the installation of various information panels on the Jewish community in Spain, the Jewish Lucena and its Talmudic School or the re-incarnations carried out in the place. Likewise, the recreation of four tombs has been undertaken to make known didactically the four types of burials found in the cemetery. The installation of a fountain, given the need of water for the purification process that the Sephardic community requires in this type of space, and the recreation of a Wailing Wall. * Visit included in the tourist activity “Perla de Sefarad” (Perl of Sefarad), more information on the phone: 957 503662 or www.tuhistoria.org.
La Calzada s/n, 14900 Lucena (Córdoba)